Saturday, May 9, 2009

Next Generation

Today I finally spent time to open the ang pau my children. To my my surprise, both of them collected worth S$740 of ang pau. I am thinking, friends and relatives were generous but it could also due to inflation. 

I remember when I was young, I used to received ang pau in coins, 50 cents or 20 cents, I would happily put it into my piggy bank. My dad used to give us a piggy bank each to teach us how to save money. I am doing the same for my son but I wonder how he view money in future. The life of next generation is going to be so different than us. They are exposed to all the high end stuff and have little concept of saving penny. 

Parent in my generation are also very fortunately. Most of us are living a middle to high class life where we are not short of anything in life. Often, because the number of kids are less in the family, parent would not hesitate to buy the high end stuff for their kids. They think that they could afford, why not. I am not sure what kind of side effect would be bring to our next generation? Will they be able to live a simple life and still happy about it?

1 comment:

  1. In my opinion, kids should be taught about humility and humble. I always told my friend in OZ to send her kids to India. See for themselves, how are their lives compare to those street kids who has nothing to eat. Inner appreciation will give the kids a greater appreciation to whatever they do, whether it's big or small. We are not talking about moving behind, but be compassionate to people around or even to ourselves.

    ReplyDelete