Sunday, April 26, 2009

Company Cost Cutting Measures (1)

Last Friday, I came into the office and found that the coffee machine was turned off. I thought it broke down and since I wanted to cut back on coffee, I decided to buy a can of coke instead. I went to my usual place to use the vending machine but found out that the machine was switched off. I checked 2 more floors that I knew where vending machines were installed and I was disappointed. They either took away the machine or the machine wasn't working.

This morning a colleague stopped by to chat with me and in the conversation, he told me that the free coffee machine were all disabled in the office! I wasn't surprised as there was news that I-kei  in other country also stopped providing free coffee and tea. In times like this, it wasn't hard to implement such measure because the choices are obvious, a job or free coffee but what upset people is that why they kept quiet about that and just switched off all the machines. Not only that, why don't they install more coins vending machine for the convenience of the staff? I hope they do not have an agreement with the cafeteria tenant that they will not install vending machine so that all businesses will go to the cafeteria. The price difference is huge, coke from vending machine cost 80 cents but from the cafeteria, it cost S$1.30!

Another cost cutting measure that took place last year was getting rid of the dustbin in each workstation. They put a bigger one at the pantry or corner of the building. In this way, the cleaner only need to pickup rubbish from few places and hence they can reduce the number of people that needed to work in the office. I personally think this is a smart idea to cut cost and it does not really bothers me.

Anything else that you see in your office? Feel free to share.

4 comments:

  1. During lunch with NLK today, she said that she heard similar thing is going to happen to KL. And she said HR will probably communicate to the employee. I am surprised that SG executed it without any communications!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The I-Kei i knew has booted out all the contract administrative staffs! I have to do my own printing now on top of my own regular jobs. When I said printing I mean printing 20 books for education every time! I wonder how to find the good time unless it's after work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Padam muka Kiasu-Ching , hahaha. printing booksssss ah ....

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the same BS everywhere you go - cut pennies when the economy is 'down' and reward employees and looks after then when business is good. So the policy changes with the times i.e. all the motivational crap they feed you during good times is not applicable now. So what to believe?

    People in Management should realize what they're really doing when they do things like disable coffee-machines. They're simply perpetuating the thought that 'these are bad times, we must cut costs.'

    People, this what THEY want you to think. THEY still go on European trips. THEY still drive their big cars and eat expensive food. THEY still can afford 2-3 maids in their big huge mansions.

    And you say 'Oh, I don't mind if there's no coffee.' Wake up.

    ReplyDelete